Carpenters' Hall

Learn More: Carpenter's Tools

Return to puzzle

Adze: Tool used to shape or trim rough-cut wood.

Auger: Basic boring tool used for drilling large holes by hand.

Axe: A broad axe is used to cut spare logs into structural timbers.

Block: A double block is a double pulley rope system for lifting heavy timber or objects.

Bob: A plumb bob and line is a weight of metal or stone suspended from a cord used for testing vertical measurements.

Chisel: Mortising chisels are used to start and cut out accurate square mortise holes in framing timbers.

Divider: Wing dividers are a type of compass used to transfer measurements.

Gauge: A marking gauge is used for marking lines to the edge of the wood when planing workpieces to size, and for similar parallel lines when marking rebates, joints, etc.

Knife: Draw knives are used to remove surface wood and for rounding, shaping, and cutting bevels.

Level: Used to test for horizontal surfaces or lines.

Mallet: Hammers made of wood used to drive in dowels or pegs which would be split or fractured if a metal hammer were used.

Oilstone: Also called a whet stone. It was kept oiled and used for sharpening the metal edges of tools such as chisels, plane blades, knives, etc.

Reel: A Chalk line reel is a length of twine on a wooden reel used for setting out long, straight lines on timber.

Saw: Frame saws are used with characteristic up and down movement and are used for cutting all kinds of curved work.

Square: Try squares are squares in which the blade is set at right angles to the stock. They are used to test the accuracy of a structural timber.

Carpenters' Hall, 320 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
Open free to the public daily, except Mondays (and Tuesdays in Jan. and Feb.), from 10am-4pm

Interested in using our pictures or information? Click here!

Copyright 1999-2015 by the Independence Hall Association,
a nonprofit organization in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, founded in 1942.
Publishing electronically as On the Internet since July 4, 1995.